GLANMIRE, a village, in the parish of RATHCOONEY, North Liberties of the county and city of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (E.) from Cork, on the road to Dublin; containing, in 1821, 558 inhabitants; at the last census the population was returned with the parish. The village is situated on both sides of the river Glanmire, which, after meandering through a beautiful glen, empties itself under a drawbridge of cast iron into the river Lee. The vicinity is enlivened with many plantations, hanging woods, and the number of gentlemen's seats and villas with which it is adorned. The principal residences are Lota House, that of W. H. Greene, Esq.; Lotabeg, of D. Callaghan, Esq.; Lotamore, of the Hon. C. L. Bernard; Dunkittle, of A. Morris, Esq.; Sun Lodge, of W. Oliver, Esq.; Lota Lodge, of J. S. Barry, Esq.; Fort William, of Mrs. Baker; Glentown, of Mrs. McCall; Glanville, of E. Newsome, Esq.; Woodville, of N. M. Cummins, Esq.; Lota Park, lately purchased by J. J. Murphy, Esq.; Jane Mount, of W. Hickie, jun., Esq.; Lake Lodge, of John Martin, Esq.; Castle Jane House, of R. Martin, Esq.; Castle Jane, of H. Lawton, Esq.; Mina Villa, of J. Hardy, Esq.; Glanmire House, of Ed. Morrogh, Esq.: North Esk, of J. Carnegie, Esq.; Park Farm, of H. Morrogh, Esq,; Spring Hill, of G. Waters, Esq.; Glen View, of R. Young, Esq.; and Sallybrook, of J. Hodnett, Esq.

In the village are extensive flour-mills, belonging to Mr. Shaw, and in the vicinity are those of Messrs. Thorley and Son, for finishing calico and linen, upwards of 1000 pieces being the weekly average; these gentlemen have also an establishment for bleaching and dyeing, and employ upwards of 200 persons; about the same number are engaged in the Glanmire woollen factory, higher up the river, by Messrs. Lyons and Hanly. The river is navigable for lighters up to the village at high water, which bring up coal, culm, sea-sand for manure, and other articles for the supply of the neighbourhood. The parochial church, a plain neat building with a tower and spire, is in the village, and was erected in 1784, on a site given by R. Rogers, Esq.; and at a short distance is the R. C. chapel for the union of Glanmire. Here are also male and female schools, supported by the rector; and a female school was built and is supported by Mr. Hickie. A dispensary is open for the relief of the poor, and a clothing society has been established.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »