FAUGHLEY, or FAUGHANSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of DEMIFORE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S.) from Castlepollard, on the road to Mullingar; containing 1551 inhabitants, and comprising 4059 statute acres. It extends along the entire north side of Lough Derveragh, and includes within its limits the hill of Knock Ion. The land is prinpally under an improving system of tillage; limestone abounds; there is very little bog. Near the upper end of the lake stands Gartlandstown, the seat of J. Murray, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Rathoraff, or Castlepollard; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Westmeath. The tithes amount to £320, of which £142. 4. 5 ½. is payable to the impropriators, and £177. 15. 6 ½. to the incumbent.

In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Mayne and Faughanstown, also called Tarbotstown, and has a chapel at Milltown. A school at Dernagaragh, in which are 46 boys and 24 girls, is aided by a bequest of the late Colonel Monk; and there are three private schools, in which 76 boys and 48 girls are instructed. On contiguous eminences, overlooking Lough Derveragh, are two very large raths, and near Gartlandstown are two others. At Dernagaragh are the ruins of an old castle; and on the shore of the lake are the remains of the parochial church, near which are those of a chapel.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »