CALARY, a district parish

CALARY, a district parish, in the several baronies of BALLINACOR, HALF-RATHDOWN, and NEWCASTLE, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Bray; containing 2533 inhabitants. This parish was formed out of the several parishes of Kilmacanogue, Kilcoole, Derralossory, Newcastle, and Powerscourt, in 1831, under the provisions of an act of the 7th and 8th of George IV. It is situated in the rugged table lands which extend southward from the great Sugar Loaf mountain to the vicinity of Roundwood; and lies embosomed between the lower range of hills among which the Downs hill claim pre-eminence, and the more elevated chain of heights above which the lofty Djouce rises in towering grandeur. It comprehends a dreary tract of poor elevated land, bog, and barren mountain, extending on the east to the glen of the Downs, and on the west to Luggelaw, comprising more than 9720 statute acres of productive land, with a large tract of unprofitable waste.

The Sugar Loaf mountain rises to the height of 2000 feet above the level of the sea; on the western side its height is apparently diminished by the low range called the Long Hill, which conceals its base. The Djouce mountain has an elevation of 2392 feet, and is conspicuous in every extended view in the north part of the country. The easiest ascent to the summit of this stupendous mass is from the waterfall at Powerscourt; and the view obtained from it is of the most magnificent character. To the west of the Djouce mountain is Luggelaw, a richly verdant vale, beautifully contrasting with the rugged severity and dreary barrenness of the other parts of this wild and romantic district. This delightful place is commonly visited from Roundwood, and has, under the auspices and by the taste of the La Touche family, been rendered one of the most interesting scenes in the county. The approach to it is over the southern shoulder of the Djouce mountain; and on passing the summit of a ridge which previously presented only bold undulations of dark heath clad mountains, a sudden turn of the road presents a fine view of Lough Tay, overshadowed by the vast granite precipice of Carrigemann on the opposite side, rising in rugged cliffs perpendicularly to the height of 1000 feet. A little further, on the opposite side of the road, an opening discloses a fine view of an extensive glen in the mountain, the precipitous sides of which are richly planted to a certain height, above which they are thinly clad with heath.

At the head of the glen are some meadows of beautiful verdure, and a fine lawn shaded by overhanging woods, on which is a handsome lodge in the early English style, built by the late David La Touche, Esq., and now the residence of Robert D. La Touche, Esq. The lodge, which is open to visitors by permission of the family, is approached by a road through the wood, near the margin of the lake, a fine sheet of water comprising 72 Irish acres, and abounding with trout and char. On the side above the house a new hanging walk has been constructed among the plantations, commanding a view of the glen and lake below, and a splendid mountain vista across the lower extremity of Lough Dan, terminating in a prospect of the unrivalled mountain of Lugnaquilla. The other seats in the parish are Ballinastoe, that of G. Bentley, Esq.; Mullinavigne, of—Smith, Esq.; Tittour, of J. Nuttal, Esq.; and Whitehall, of Capt. Whitmore. The new line of road from Bray to Roundwood, and the Long hill road from Enniskerry to the same place, pass through the parish; but the latter is little used, as there is a branch communicating with the former, on which Major Beresford has built a very neat hotel. The river Liffey has its source near the War hill, in this parish.

The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, instituted by diocesan authority, and in the patronage of the Incumbents of the several parishes of Kilmacanogue and Derralossory, each of whom pays one-third of the curate's stipend of £50 per annum, and has two presentations; and of the Incumbents of Powerscourt and Newcastle, each of whom pays one-sixth, and has one presentation. The church, a neat edifice in the later English style, with a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, was built in 1834, on a site near the new line of road, presented by the Earl of Rathdown, and the late Board of First Fruits granted £900 towards its erection; the lower part of the tower is appropriated as a vestry-room. In the R. C. divisions the parish is comprised respectively in the unions or districts of Bray and Powerscourt, Glendalough, and Kilquade. The parochial school is aided by the Earl of Rathdown, who allows a few acres of land rent-free for its support: there is another school at Ballinastoe. In these schools are about 50 boys and 70 girls, and there is also a Sunday school. A dispensary has been lately built at Ballinastoe.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »