Presbyterian and Methodist Churches and Friends’ Meeting House - Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885

About “Wexford County Guide and Directory,” 1885

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version of Bassett’s Wexford County Guide and Directory is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

Show less

ON Anne Street, about half-way between the Quay, and the Main Street, is the Presbyterian Church. It is built in simple, though shapely style, and is handsomely decorated with closely clinging ivy.

At the corner of Rowe Street and High Street the Methodist Church stands, at a slight elevation from the road. It has a good seating capacity, and the structure is solid and plain.

The Meeting House of the Society of Friends is on High Street. The record of this Society in Wexford is a long and interesting one. Owing to removal to other parts of Ireland, the membership has been reduced.

Search for a copy of Bassett’s Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885