“The People” - Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885

About “Wexford County Guide and Directory,” 1885

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version of Bassett’s Wexford County Guide and Directory is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

Show less

A Catholic and National Newspaper. Established January, 1853.

The Wexford Guardian was incorporated with the People, January, 1857.

THE People is a commercial, agricultural, and literary journal, as well as newspaper. It commands an extensive circulation in the counties of Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny, Waterford, Wicklow, Dublin; the United States, Canada, and Australia. It gives full reports of all public bodies in the county of Wexford, selections from the English, Irish, and foreign press, together with correspondence and leading articles upon all matters of local and general interest. It is the recognised advertising medium of the Grand Juries, Poor Law Boards, Town Commissioners, Harbour Commissioners, the Clergy, Gentry, Agriculturists, Commercial classes, &c. Published every Wednesday and Saturday.

Proprietor—E. WALSH. Office—31 South Main Street, Wexford.

Annual SubscriptionUnstamped, 17/- ; by post, £1 1s.

Search for a copy of Bassett’s Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885