Enniscorthy Presbyterian & Methodist Churches, Friends’ Meeting House, and Mission Chapel - Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885

About “Wexford County Guide and Directory,” 1885

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version of Bassett’s Wexford County Guide and Directory is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

Show less

THE Presbyterian Church is a small but handsome structure of cut stone, with a conical tower, of modest proportions. It is situated on the Mill Park Road, and is surrounded by well kept grounds. The Rev. William Arnold, of The Manse, is Resident Minister.

On a line with Friary Hill, is situated the Methodist Church. This is also of small size, by comparison with the Church of St. Mary’s. It was erected in 1835, and has pretty grounds, which reach Lower Church Street by a rapid descent. Services are held by circuit preachers.

At the opposite side of the river is the Meeting House of the Society of Friends. Its glistening white gable and substantial railing are in agreeable contrast to its surroundings. The Society has had a foothold in Enniscorthy for a long period. It is worthy of remark that during the Rebellion of 1798, the peace-loving ways of its members were respected alike by each of the contending forces.

On the side of Shannon Hill is the Mission Chapel. It was built in 1866, at the expense of the late Richard Devereux, of Wexford. A plain white marble tablet, set in the wall, to the left of the entrance, sets forth this fact. Near it, a mural monument of considerable length, has the name of the first priest of the Mission, who died at the post of duty. There is ample space left on which to record the names of those who follow hiM.

Search for a copy of Bassett’s Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885