O'Hogan family genealogy

(See "Hogan, " page 96, ante.)

Besides the Armorial Bearings assigned to this family in p. 96, they had:

Arms: Ar. on a chev. sa. three martlets of the field. Crest: An ostrich's head betw. two feathers or.

COSGRACH, second son of Lorcan. who is No. 103 on the "O'Brien," Kings of Thomond Stem, was the ancestor of this family. They were Chiefs of Crioch Cian, a territory in the principality of Ormond, and had a fortified residence at Ardcrony, a parish in the barony of Lower Ormond; and another at Ballylusky, in the same territory. On a stone slab in the old castle of Beechwood, is the date 1594, with the initials O. H.; from which it would appear that this was one of the residences of the O'Hogans, princes of Crioch Cian, from whom it passed to the Tolers. It would appear that a branch of this family settled in the county of Kildare soon after the Anglo-Norman Invasion, as a Dominican friary had been founded at Athy, by some members of the family, in 1253. O'Heerin says:—

"O'Hogan of Crich Cian rules over

Clan Ionmanain of the fair lands."

In 1281, Mathew O'Hogan, a native of Ballyhogan, dean of Killaloe, who was advanced to that see in 1267, died, and was interred in the Dominican convent at Limerick. He was succeeded by his kinsman, Maurice O'Hogan, who was consecrated in 1282; who governed his see for seventeen years; and, dying, was interred in the cathedral. Thomas O'Hogan, canon of Killaloe, was consecrated bishop of that see in 1343. He died in the month of October, 1354, and was interred in the Domini- can friary of Nenagh. Richard O'Hogan, a native of Limerick, a Franciscan friar, was consecrated bishop of Killaloe in 1525. His translation to Clonmacnoise, where he died in 1538, is the last record we have of this ancient family.