SIX-MILE-BRIDGE, a post-town, partly in the parish of KILFENTINAN, barony of BUNRATTY, but chiefly in that of KILFINAGHTY, barony of TULLA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (N. W. by W.) from Limerick, and 101 ¾ (W. S. W.) from Dublin, on the old mail road from Limerick to Ennis; containing 1491 inhabitants. This place is called in Irish Abhuinn O' Gearna, from the river Gearna or Ougarnee, on which it is situated: it was formerly of some note, and had a chapel or vicarial house belonging to the Dominican friars of St. Saviour, Limerick, of which no vestige now exists.

The town, which is irregularly built, in 1831 contained 229 houses: although advantageously situated on the river Ougarnee, which flows into the Shannon at Bunratty, and is navigable thence for boats to within half a mile of the town, it has been long declining; its market, formerly held on Friday, is discontinued, and the market-house, once a handsome building, is now unroofed. A large mill, formerly used for grinding corn, and since used as a paper-mill, has lately been discontinued; as have some mills below the town for several years.

A fair held on Dec. 5th for store and fat cattle is much frequented by provision merchants from Cork and Limerick. General sessions are held here in June; petty sessions occasionally on Tuesdays; and a seneschal's court usually once in six weeks, for the recovery of small debts. A constabulary police force is stationed in the town. The sessions-house is a commodious building, attached to which is a small but well regulated bridewell. Here are the church of the union of Bunratty, and the principal R. C. chapel of the district. The former is an old edifice, of which the tower, being considered insecure, was taken down a few years since, and for rebuilding it and repairing the church the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £542.

In the R. C. divisions Six-mile-bridge gives name to the union or district, comprising the parishes of Kilmurrynegaul, Kilfinaghty, and Finogh, and containing the chapels of Six-mile-bridge and Kilmurry; the former is a spacious modern building. The school-house near the chapel is a large building, erected by subscription about 10 years since; the classics are taught in this school, which is under the superintendence of the parish priest. A dispensary for the poor is open three days in the week.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »