FENNAGH, or FENAGH, a parish, partly in the barony of SHILLELAGH, county of WICKLOW, but chiefly in that of IDRONE EAST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. E.) from Leighlin-Bridge, on the rivers Slaney and Burrin, and on the road from Bagnalstown to Newtown-Barry; containing 4324 inhabitants. This parish comprises 11,942 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1230 per ann.; about 600 acres are mountain, nearly 120 bog, and the remainder good arable and pasture land in a good state of cultivation; there are some quarries of fine granite. The village of Fennagh is beautifully situated, commanding picturesque and grand views of Mount Leinster; the surrounding country is thickly planted, and the gentlemen's seats afford some good specimens of ancient architecture. Here was a well-fortified castle, the seat of one of the kings of Leinster.

The principal seats are Castlemore House, the residence of J. Eustace, Esq.; Hardy Mount, of J. Hardy Eustace, Esq.; Janeville, of W. Garrett, Esq.; Lumclone, of T. H. Watson, Esq.; Kilconner, of — Watson, Esq.; Ballydarton, of J. Watson, Esq.; Upton, of I. Grey, Esq.; Clonferta, of T. Dillon, Esq.; and Garryhill House, a residence of Viscount Duncannon.

A penny post to Leighlin-Bridge has been established, and here is a constabulary police station.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin; the rectory is in the patronage of the Crown; and the vicarage is endowed with the townlands of Castlemore, Ballybenard, Tullowbeg, Drumphey, and Ardowen (which in the vicar's title are called chapelries), and is in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £646. 3. 1., of which £415. 7. 8 ¼. is payable to the rector, and £230. 15. 4 ¾. to the vicar. The glebe-house is a neat building, and the glebe comprises 16 acres. The church, a neat plain edifice, was erected in 1790; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £206 for its repair.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Myshall; the chapel is at Drumphey. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends.

The parochial school for boys is aided by donations from the rector and vicar, and about 50 girls are taught in a school supported by subscription; there are also five private schools, in which are about 270 children, and a dispensary. At Ranegeragh are some remains of a castle, which anciently belonged to the Kavanaghs; at Drumphey are the ruins of an ancient monastery; and at Castlemore is a remarkable moat.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »