Mill Park Brewery Mills and Mineral Water Factory - Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885

About “Wexford County Guide and Directory,” 1885

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version of Bassett’s Wexford County Guide and Directory is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

Show less

AN iron foundry originally occupied a portion of the site of the extensive premises of Messrs. George H. and Edward J. Lett. In 1798 they were used for barracks by the City of Cork Militia. About seventy years ago the Mill Park Brewery and Flour Mills were established by the Pounder family. In 1864 Messrs. Stephen and Edward J. Lett purchased the interest in both, and began to make improvements of such magnitude as to involve an expenditure of £8,000.

The brewery building was almost entirely taken down and re-erected in such a manner as to admit the introduction of superior brewing appliances. The new building is 107 by 43 feet, and is three stories high at one end and two at the other, with deep cellar. In the time of Mr. John Pounder the flour mills were destroyed by fire, and rebuilt by hiM. The building is 79 by 23 feet and five stories high. Power is supplied by water, which comes from a source at Monart, four miles distant. An iron breast wheel, 32 feet in diameter and 8 feet broad, although erected in 1849, still remains in excellent condition. In ordinary seasons four pairs of stones can be driven in addition to the general machinery. Greatest among the buildings is the malt house. It covers 236 by 45 feet of ground, is four stories high, and has a capacious cellar.

The newest building is a two-story mineral water factory, 120 by 19 feet. This has a bright red brick front, and is in agreeable contrast to its surroundings. Adjoining it are the offices. Two years ago the mineral water factory was added. It is served by a three horse-power vertical engine, and bears evidence of careful management. The output, including champagne cider and fruit syrups and cordials, goes to nearly every town and village in the counties of Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow, Waterford, and Wicklow. The water is secured from an artesian well on the premises at a depth of 120 feet, 16 feet of which had to be bored through shingle.

Mr. Stephen Lett died in 1865, and Mr. Edward J. Lett ten years later. The business was managed by the executors until 1881, when Messrs. George H. and Edward J. Lett, sons of Mr. Stephen Lett, entered into possession. They are young and energetic, and have given ample evidence of ability to carry to success an ambitious and enterprising programme. The Mill Park Brewery Mills, Malthouse, Stores, Mineral Water Factory and offices are included in and form a considerable part of a statute acre belonging to the firM. The main entrance is on Friary Hill, but the premises adjoin Mill Park-road, and run through to Court-street.

Search for a copy of Bassett’s Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885