Convent Chapel, New Ross - Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885

About “Wexford County Guide and Directory,” 1885

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version of Bassett’s Wexford County Guide and Directory is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

Show less

THE Chapel known by this name stands at the top of one of the steepest of New Ross streets, and the approach from town is rarely, if ever, used for vehicles. From its yard, a great extent of country, the bridge, and much of the town is visible. The interior of the building is of modest proportions, though containing much to show the affectionate interest of the congregation. The Station pictures were each presented by a different person, the donors being: Mr. John B. Cullen, Mr. Patrick C. Devine, Mrs. E. Power, Mr. P. Byrne, Mrs. Woods, Mrs. Jane Hughes, Mr. Robert White, Mr. James E. Galavan, J.P., Mr. P. Hickey, Mr. John Browne, Messrs. Michael and Martin Murphy, Mr. James Hutchinson, Mr. Wm. Howlett, and Mrs. Mary Meehan.

On the right of the entrance a grey tablet, with white letters, commemorates James Cullen, his wife Mary and children, with appropriate emblems. A similar memorial is to Mary Sutton, wife of Mr. John Sutton, Irishtown. A white marble scroll bears the names of Thomas and Bridget Devine. The next is a tablet to Catherine Flood, erected by her husband, Wm. Flood, and one by Jno. Black to his wife, her mother and father. A mural monument resting on marble claws, perpetuates the memory of A. Hughes and his children. The back-ground of the altar occupies the entire width of the church, and is an architectural structure of dark wood, upheld by Corinthian pillars. Over the altar of the Virgin, in a panel, is a copy of Murillo’s Assumption; on the right a picture of the Sacred Heart, and on the left St. Joseph and Child.

Above the high altar is a representation of the Crucifixion. The sanctuary is lighted on either side by circular coloured windows. Near the pulpit, on the eastern wall, are monumental tablets to Rev. Martin Crane, O.S.A., and Rev. James Crane, O.S.A., with white marble inverted torches on a black marble ground. A memorial in black and white marble records the name of Mrs. Johanna Barron of Portobello. The Rev. Terence MacMahon, O.S.A., 1863, has a handsome inscribed monument recording the respect and affection of his people. The churchyard walls are thickly set with monuments on either side, and the ground nearly paved with lettered slabs.

Search for a copy of Bassett’s Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885