Catholic Church and Convent, Newtownbarry - Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885

About “Wexford County Guide and Directory,” 1885

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version of Bassett’s Wexford County Guide and Directory is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

Show less

A SHORT and pleasantly shaded walk from the bridge on the left bank of the river leads to the Catholic place of worship and convent. The church-yard is well kept, and has many monuments. The interior of the church is paved with Portland blocks. The altar is of neutral tints, and is lighted by a stained-glass window on the right. An oil-painting of the Crucifixion is at the back. The ceiling is decorated in different medallions. From one of them depends a silver lamp, unusually rich in workmanship. A tablet in white marble commemorates Rev. John Doran, C.C., of Newtownbarry. At the left of the altar is a small gallery used by the Sisters of the adjoining convent, who have lately been provided with a pretty little chapel on the same side. Their Order is that of the Faithful Companions of Jesus, and has been established in Newtownbarry about twenty-five years. Under their charge are boarding and National schools. Their parlours overlook a series of gardens, tastefully adorned, and made interesting by a number of little grottos to SS. Bridget, Patrick, Our Lady of Lourdes, the last name portraying Bernadette, the well, and surrounding rocks.

Statues of the Angel Gabriel, the Virgin and St. Joseph, stand opposite the house.

Search for a copy of Bassett’s Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885